The Institute of Counselling Psychology is a professional sub-group of the NZ Psychological Society. It has been in existence since September 2003.
The Institute defines counselling psychology as:
“A psychological speciality that utilises and applies psychological knowledge and research at the individual, group and organisational level. Counselling psychologists enable and empower clients experiencing typical and atypical problems of living to enhance their personal, social, educational and vocational functioning.”
The speciality embraces a range of approaches including preventative and educational programmes, and acknowledges the importance of phenomenological perspectives as well as the influence of developmental and ecological factors.
The Institute is established with a commitment to biculturalism and cultural diversity, in the interests of the public and the profession, to promote the highest standards of knowledge and practice in counselling psychology in Aotearoa/New Zealand.
Specifically the Institute aims to:
Promote high standards of ethical and professional practice by counselling psychologists
Advise on accreditation of training courses in counselling psychology to ensure the competence of practitioners
Monitor and maintain membership standards to ensure the competence of practising counselling psychologists
Promote the discipline of counselling psychology in New Zealand.
How to join the Institute of Counselling Psychology
Members of NZPsS may apply to join under one of the following five categories:
(Applicants must be current members of the New Zealand Psychological Society.)
Please email theSupervisor’s Report to your supervisor/s who will complete and forward it directly to national office.
Full Member (Practitioner) status is open to anyone who:
1) has an Aotearoa/New Zealand recognised postgraduate qualification in Counselling Psychology
– Demonstrable qualification and supervised practice in Counselling Psychology
2) Counselling/Psychotherapy and Psychology equivalent to #1 above.
3) Exceptional applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
Full Member (Academic) status is open to anyone who has:
1) Membership of NZPsS, with an Aotearoa/New Zealand recognised postgraduate qualification in Counselling Psychology, and who is engaged in teaching and research.
2) Membership of NZPsS, with demonstrable qualification in Counselling Psychology or Counselling/Psychotherapy and Psychology, and who is engaged in teaching and research.
– Provisional Membership is intended for candidates for Full Member (Practitioner), who are expected to complete an individually specified professional development programme, including an approved supervision arrangement, which will realistically enable them to meet the above criteria for Full Member (Practitioner) within 24 months.
– Subscriber status may be granted at the discretion of the Management Committee of the Institute to any person who is working in a related field and has an interest in Counselling Psychology but who does not meet the criteria referred to above. Apply online
Student Subscriberstatus is open to anyone who:
– Is currently enrolled in the Post Graduate Diploma of Counselling Psychology or equivalent qualification
– Has been accepted to be enrolled in the Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology or equivalent qualification. Click here for ICounsPsy Student Subscriber application form
Membership Fees: $23 per annum for all member categories, except for students at no charge.
Contact the membership administrator on membership(at)psychology.org.nz for more information