Institute of Health Psychology (IHP)
The Institute of Health Psychology (IHP) shares the New Zealand Psychological Society’s commitment to promote and disseminate psychology as a pure and applied science but with a specific focus on the discipline and interests of health psychology. Being a member of the IHP provides the combined benefits of the Society and the Institute, and is a great opportunity to contribute to health psychology in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Aims of the Institute
The Institute of Health Psychology was established in the interests of the public and the profession, to promote the highest standards of health psychology knowledge and practice within Aotearoa New Zealand.
The Institute specifically aims to:
- Promote the discipline of Health Psychology in New Zealand
- Promote the professional development of health psychologists in New Zealand by facilitating opportunities for ongoing education and the sharing of information relevant to the practice of health psychology
- Promote the interests of the profession of health psychology in New Zealand
IHP Committee members for 2022/23 are:
Debbie Bean, Chairperson,
Rushaina Variava, Secretary
Eva Morunga, Cultural Support
Carissa Wilkes, Treasurer
Iris Fontanilla, PD Coordinator
Yenushka Goonesekera, PD Coordinator
Georgia Best, Student Rep
Mariam Karhiy, Student Rep
What are the benefits of belonging to the Institute?
Being a member of the IHP provides a range of benefits, including:
- Recognition – your professional status will be easily recognised by employing authorities and other professional bodies. Full Members receive a Certificate of Membership and can use the title MNZPsS, MIHP.
- Professional Support – you will have the opportunity to meet and develop relationships with colleagues as part of a network of health psychologists throughout New Zealand.
- Training and Conference – you get to attend regular IHP Peer Review meetings, and get discounted fees at IHP sponsored workshops. Your opinions and preferences can help shape the training that is offered.
- Consultation and Representation – your views on relevant professional matters can be represented through IHP involvement in various government consultation groups and submissions.
Membership Criteria and Categories
Full Member (Practitioner) status is open to anyone who:
Has New Zealand Registration as a Psychologist AND has a minimum of two years’ experience or 1500 hours* working as a registered psychologist providing psychological care to patients/ clients who present with physical health problems.
* 1500 hours completed as an intern psychologist are included towards these criteria.
Full Member (Academic) status is open to anyone who:
Holds a post graduate qualification in health psychology or equivalent qualification.
Currently works primarily in teaching or research activities related to the field of health psychology.
Student Affiliate – status is open to anyone who:
Has been accepted to be enrolled in the Post Graduate Diploma in Health Psychology or equivalent qualification.
Download the IHP student application form
Membership is free (included in your annual NZPsS subscription).
The IHP was formally established at the NZPsS’s 2009 AGM. The IHP has an elected governing committee that meets quarterly to promote the Institute’s aims. While subject to the rules of the Society, the IHP has its own set of governance rules, which are available on the NZPsS website or by request.
How to join the IHP
click here for the online application form
By clicking this link you will find the membership application form. Please complete the relevant sections and press submit. Your application will be reviewed by the delegated members of the IHP committee and you will be advised by email once it is processed. We aim to do this in a timely manner, which can be expected to take about 2 weeks once your application is received.
Psychology Week 2023 Videos
How to Study Health Psychology:
To celebrate psychology week, the Institute of Health Psychology are promoting health psychology careers. As part of this, you can find out about the three health psychology programmes available here in Aotearoa by watching three short videos. We hope you are inspired on your pathway to a career in Health Psychology!
Health Psychology at the University of Auckland: https://vimeo.com/827454963/b2128c32e8?share=copy
Health Psychology at Victoria University: https://vimeo.com/827455512/13baf8c0ec?share=copy
Health Psychology at Massey University: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2lvlIyaRMA
Contact the NZPsS membership administrator onfor more information.