Institute of Clinical Psychology
The Institute of Clinical Psychology was formally established as part of the NZPsS in 1999. ICP Full and Associate Members pay an annual levy (currently $55.00). Student membership is free. The Management Committee is a democratically elected body that meets four times a year.
Promoting the highest standards of clinical psychological knowledge and practice within Aotearoa New Zealand in the interests of the public and the profession.
What We Offer Our Members
- Recognition of one’s status as a clinical psychologist
- Improved networking and lobbying opportunities
- Specialist, targeted services of value to clinical psychologists, such as publications and professional development
- Accountability to the profession with regard to maintenance/upskilling in key areas of clinical practice
- Opportunities to contribute to the success of the Institute by being willing to assume managerial/professional roles within the Institute.
ICP committee in 2020
Vanessa Burrett (Chair)
Carrie Clifford Bicultural Student Rep
Taylor-Jane Cox Student Rep
Membership Criteria and Categories
Full ICP membership requires meeting five main criteria:
- A current financial Member of NZPsS.
- New Zealand Registration as Psychologist in the Clinical Psychologist Scope of Practice.
- Holder of Current Annual Practising Certificate (APC) in the Clinical Psychologist Scope of Practice, issued by the New Zealand Psychologists Board.
- Holder of NZ postgraduate diploma in clinical psychology/professional doctorate in clinical psychology OR holder of recognised overseas equivalent.
- Provide evidence of safe practice through clinical supervision reports. (2 years of NZ supervision)
Other categories are available for those who are in the process of meeting full membership status (i.e., Associate Membership for those who are obtaining the requisite supervision and Student Membership for those completing a clinical psychology training programme), or who have an interest in clinical psychology but do not hold the required post-graduate qualification (i.e., Affiliate Membership).
Available to any NZPsS member who has completed a postgraduate clinical diploma at any NZ University and has not completed a further two years supervised practice (e.g. new graduates). Applicants in this category are not eligible for Full Membership but graduation to Full Membership will occur following supervisor(s) reports of two years satisfactory clinical practice post-graduation.
Available for NZPsS Student Subscribers who have been accepted into a NZ university clinical training programme. Membership at this level will then, on graduation, expedite progress into Associate Membership and eventually Full Membership. Student Membership is free.
An invited category for those who are clinically experienced but who may not now be practising (e.g. retired) and/or have specific expertise (e.g. taha Māori, university clinical teaching staff).
A category for those who are registered but not eligible for any other category of membership.
How to join the ICP
Full NZPsS members: Please apply online here.
If you apply online please email the Supervisor’s report to your supervisor/s who will complete and forward it directly to national office.
For more information on the criteria for ICP membership please download the ICP Membership Information Document (PDF).
NZPsS students: If you are an NZPsS student and enrolled in a clinical programme we add you as ICP student automatically- no need to complete another application form. Here is some information specifically for ICP students.
We are offering the following grants in 2020
Download the following grants criteria and application forms
All completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com .
Note: the ICP Professional Development Grant, General Research Grant, and Maori Clinical Psychology Grant are not offered this year.
Contact the NZPsS membership administrator on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.